Friday, June 27, 2008

music and kids...well my kids!

You are reading a guy who loves music and is trying to help his kids learn to love music. Chelsea and I have discovered that music is a powerful way to teach kids about...well...anything. For real, make a song about something and they will learn it. yes i made up a pee pee song for Kelyn, it is sweet! It is amazing to hear our girls sing the music that Chelsea listens to in the car, they know the words and they can not even read yet. So here is why I writing the short thing. Our kids go to sleep listening to music and it just dawned on me that I can make them a disk to listen to as they go to bed. I get to help them grab hold of the greatness of God as they go to sleep. I just finished the CD and it is full of North Point live, Hillsong United, Eddie Kirkland, Chris Tomlin, Building 429, Leeland, and maybe a little coldplay (just kidding for now!) but get the power of my girls going to sleep with this music on their brain. It is our job to help our kids understand the love of God and music is a powerful tool to help kids GET WHO GOD IS! Just an idea I wanted to throw out if your kids if they go to bed listening to music.

4 comments:

  1. crazy that this made me think about what we heard this past week at camp....but the title got me thinking about this...one of the guys we met lives in LA and they taught his daughter a song at preschool. He came up to the door and thought- this is great I know that tune..."He's got the whole world in His hands"...but when he went in he realized they'd changed the words to "We've got the whole world in our hands." Crazy what changing two words can do to a song. He totally used it as a teachable moment, but was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want a copy of that cd :) i totally agree, i am seeing that music is so important for emily too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids went to the Trinity Episcopal VBS last week and got the best little CD. It has pop-ish versions of classic hymns like Amazing Grace and There is Power (Power, Wonder-working Power in the Blood....) AND modern hymns like There is No One Like You and God of Wonders. It's the Power Lab VBS CD that lots of the churches around town are using this year. You should check it out! Your girls would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are seeing this, too, with our kids. We are now in an area that has K-Love radio. It is on in our car all the time. The kids ask for it. They know the lyrics. They ask me what they mean. Those words penetrate their little hearts. I am so thankful for God-filled music. I am praying that it helps them to have God-filled hearts and minds! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete