Thursday, April 30, 2009
Ohhh...by the way, here is what a system is...
Systems = anything you need to do repetitively in order to accomplish the END GOAL and maximize your resources
How do we spend our BUDGETS…we can use these 5 principles to guide our spending. BECAUSE...SPENDING reflects of priorities! These are IN ORDER...
Nurturing Leadership // leadership development has to be a priority, we have to make sure the leadership is healthy and growing, STAFF and VOLUNTEERS…to give away ministry you have to train and grow leaders!
Value the team // build the team = build community, equip with tools, and celebrate! THIS BUILD MOMENTUM (ideas…ideas are training events, t-shirts, gifts, notes to say THANKS)
WHY DO THESE 2 FIRST…because this is what the church is made of, buildings and budgets come and go but PEOPLE make ministry happen! If you have passionate leaders and a trained team you can do anything.
Refine the environment // put your money into creating engaging presentation and an appealing environment. INVEST for the LONG HAUL! You can have the best message but a boring room and boring presentation can KILL IT. Build environments and create presentations that HIT YOUR TARGET not the adults!!!! THE LOOK OF OUR ROOMS FOR KIDS SEND A MESSAGE TO ADULTS AND KIDS THAT THEY MATTER!
Informing the crowd // communicate news - VISION - and ask who needs to know what ad spend money getting that message across! WEBSITE, social networking, printing, etc. Do what you can to help parents know what is going on with the kids…be creative!
Perfecting the systems // administrate, details…etc…
Parents need to know what to do to be a spiritual influence in the life of their kids. Where do we want parents to move toward in their relationship with their teens…
Imagine the End
@ focus your priorities on what matters most
Fight for the heart
@ communicate in a style that gives the relationship value //
Make it personal
@ put yourself fist when it comes to personal growth // live authentically
Create a Rhythm
@ increase quantity and quality time as a family // encourage your kids to have their own faith and place a high priority on vacation time with kids!
Widen the circle
@ place your kids in line to hear other voices saying the same thing
As small group leaders we can help parents widen the circle! We can connect with the parents of the kids in our groups. We can pray for the parents of the kids in our group. Small group leaders can say the same things parents say and many time teens will HEAR IT!
Small group leaders can support parents when…
Small group leaders can make themselves available when PARENTS need answers, support, and guidance! // trust can be formed!
Small Group leaders can help their teens parents connect with other parents relationally!
Small group leaders can help parents by NOT TAKING SIDES and helping their teens see the value in their mom and dad. Small group leaders can help teens to take the first step toward their parents and not always answer all the questions.
Small group leaders can inspire parents by LIVING AUTHENTICALLY and caring for the kids in their group in and out of church.
Small group leaders can help families create a rhythm by SHOWING UP and being regular at church and connecting with kids outside of church in community activities.
Small group leaders are the most natural connection to the heart of the family because their whole job is to connect relationally!
People entrust us with their kids…They allow us to invest in their most precious gifts.
When we see things that shock us, hurt us, hurt others we have to leverage the influence of others to join the cause of redemption.
When others see passion of an issue we try to normalize them, slow down, tell them to not go TOO far. WHY ARE WE SUPPOSED TO CALM DOWN?
So many times with our students we calm them down, slow their passion and try to make them look like us.
We have over educated believers today…undereducated believers in Jesus day were so bold…over educated believer today are so scared.
We know SO MUCH but we live Christ so little.
When we look back how many spiritual regrets do we have…we finish our education and cannot even talk to our neighbors about our faith anymore.
Peter and John gathered people to pray that they would have BOLDNESS…they were sharing a message that was LIFE CHANGING.
What keeps us from praying for boldness? What are we trying to do that we need to pray for boldness from God?
We take BOLD PEOPLE and ask them to calm down and “learn some stuff” / the first followers of Christ prayed the bold would become MORE BOLD.
Social Justice is not PART of Christian life we add on, it is life, it should consume, Jesus is OK with us being consumed with showing God’s love to others. It is OK.
Every time God speaks to us so many PEOPLE tell us to be responsible and take it all SLOW.
What is happening around the world to REAL PEOPLE GOD MADE is an emergency, lets go global and do some crazy crap to take the hope of Jesus to them.
We never look more like God the Father than when we are rescuing!
Every breath I breath could be my last, lets live like that, no regret…bold living!
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
- Many of our churches lead people to CONFORM to a picture of what we think the family should look like instead of HELPING each unique family step into the story God wants to paint in and through their family.
- Most of the ideas we have about what the family should be are just impossible to achieve. Our goals for the family are not God's goals for the family. We are just spending our parenting lives comparing our family to other families and never measuring up.
- There is NO IDEAL FAMILY (the family you think is ideal is just as broken as your family!)
- Very hard to find the model family in the Bible. (Abraham, Noah, Jacob, David...all had families who had real problems) God knows when we invite Him to join us in our parenting effort He is stepping into a broken mess. He is more OK with that than we are.
- At church many of the PICTURES we present of what family should be just make REAL FAMILIES run from God and the church.
- God is not interested making our families PERFECT he is all about bringing RESTORATION and revealing His plan through our imperfect families.
- At church we have to help families drop their IDEAL FAMILY ideas and embrace the unique story God is writing with their family. Messy is OK. We have to help families find the next step.
- Parents cannot wait to be the PERFECT mom or dad to be a faith mentor to their kids. If parents wait for that moment it will never come.
- When parents are honest about who they are with their kids and they pursue God in their imperfection kids will find a God worth following.
- Family ministry happens when the church and parents combine influence and work together to help kids embrace and follow Christ with their life!
Go check out the Orange Conference at >>>> http://www.theorangeconference.org
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
David Levin said " We don't go to bed at night wondering why we are on the planet" - 46
In dealing with conflict... Deal with conflict promptly. Own your own STUFF. Join forces against the problem. and FORGIVE. - 140
To launch Chapter 11 Tim Quoted Max Depree..."It is important to remember that we cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are."
Quoting Donald Miller, GREAT REMINDER..."All great characters in stories are the ones who give their lives to something bigger than ourselves."
Whatever amount of time I have been given TO WORK cries out to be used well...to be significant. - 187
Next up for my reading plan is Tony Morgan's book Killing Cockroaches and then on to Reggie McNeal's book Missional Renaissance
Monday, April 27, 2009
- Had a great 2 days last week in New Orleans prepping for SERVE new orleans in July with a group of GCC high school students. God opened some great doors for our team to partner with a local church and serve in the 7th ward.
- Saturday we got to go to Elliot Watts 60th birthday party. Love the Watts family and really it was a reminder that success in life is measured in relationships. Elliot has given so much to others and it was great to be able to hang out and love on him and connect with old friends! Katrina and Cassandra...you there a great party for your dad!
- The close of the EPIC series was strong. We saw tons of people choose to follow Christ Sunday morning. As we talked about the end times it was wild to see the response of the people to heaven and hell. In most churches people clap and shout when you talk about Judgement of this world. It hit our folks hard because God has allowed so many of us to have real friendships with people who are not Christ followers. GREAT JOB TODAY CHAD!
- This was the last week for Daniel Doss to lead at GCC. Daniel, you are a great friend and I will miss ya. GREAT job to DDB today. On a good note, NOW I GET TO BRING DDB back for student events. HOORAY for relevant! Love Daniel and Emily!
- We are headed to the ORANGE CONFERENCE this week...SO excited for our family ministry team. Go check out the Orange Conference at www.theorangeconference.com
- Loved the Titans 2009 draft. I am a addicted to the NFL draft. I did well this year with not allowing it to take over the weekend. Just used my cell to stay in touch. GO TITANS!
- On another sports quick hit...GO CHICAGO BULLS! Young team, looking good!
- Really excited about camps and mission trip for the Relevant Student Ministry...It is going to be fun to see what God does in the lives of teens this year.
- Excited that we are starting a new series at GCC Sunday called road trip and I get to lead off the series and speak this first week. Thanks Ron and Chad for the chance to go for it. LOVE the plan for the service. Higdon and the creative team have some cool surprises coming this week.
Friday, April 24, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Got this from a volunteer's blog in our church (she and her husband are amazing). This is a couple that is active in our community and in our church and they have done well maintaining balance. Listen to them talk about the GCC experience...this is what it is about!
Grateful for a church that I can grow in marriage and friendship, etc. From day 1, I felt that Scott and I were people…not just numbers. We have been embraced with kindness and love…and cherish all that God has provided to us through being active members at Grace. Although I am a traditionalist at heart, I truly appreciate the non-traditional setting. Yes! You can worship in flip-flops! Yes! It is possible to not necessarily be caught up in the ‘law’ of church…and just be. Come as you are and worship the God who adores you. Such freedom to love God…without being so caught up in ‘tradition.’ Being members of such a strong community has changed my heart and my life.
I am most thrilled to be raising Chandler in the Grace setting. I’m excited to teach her that God loves her no matter what and that she can find true community within our church.
Acts 4: 20For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
- THANK YOU...say it, write it, email it, text it publicly and privately with your volunteers. I know I should not have to say this to anyone but I DO because I amazed at how many people do not say THANKS enough. Say it! Your volunteers need and want to hear it.
- WHAT DO YOU THINK...yes your volunteers want to have a voice and they have things to say you need to hear. When you can, get feedback and input about ministry direction.
- HERE IS THE PLAN...your team needs to have info! Work hard to keep your team up to date with info. Your volunteers need to be the first to know important ministry news, let them always have the inside scoop when you can.
- THIS IS WHY WHAT YOU DO IS IMPORTANT...your volunteers must be told the vision of your ministry over and over and over because as our Andy Stanley says, VISION LEAKS. Share the big why of your ministry as much as possible with your team.
- GOOD JOB...let your volunteers know what they are doing well! It will open the door for an open heart when you have bring instruction and there will plenty of instruction times.
- I AM SORRY...this is huge, so huge! This goes a long way with any volunteer and helps them say the same thing when mistakes are made. When you are wrong say SORRY!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Monday, April 20, 2009
- Cross Street Live was great last night! It never gets old seeing kids and parents worship together. Our entire CSL team did an amazing job. We have have one more CSL this spring. May 17 will be our last one until September 2009.
- The Rivers and Spires Festival was really fun. Good job to the festival leadership in putting on a great weekend for our city. BIG props to our volunteers from GCC who helped pull off the teen area. My 2 little girls had a blast playing in the kid zone, good job to FBC Clarksville for helping put on a fun area for kids.
- Great Sunday at GCC this Sunday morning. I know I say this very week but I am so proud of our team and the great job they do. God is at work. Go check out the podcast at www.gcomchurch.com
- Chelsea and I finished season 2 of HEROES! That is one amazing show. Great TV and a DVR has ruined me on movies, I am in love with Lost, Heroes, and 24. I hardly ever watch movies anymore.
- I hate dandelions. AM I ALONE!
- I love the NBA playoffs. Praying my Bulls can pull off a big upset and get the Celtics out of this thing. The playoffs make the NBA worth watching.
- Now to the BOOK update...finished the BLUE PARAKEET this week, it was a good read. Now on to Seth Godin's PERMISSION MARKETING.
- 55,000 at UT Orange and White game this weekend. GO VOLS!
- This week I am headed to New Orleans to connect with the church we will be serving on our student ministry mission trip. CANNOT WAIT to serve again in that city.
- My KELYN is turning three this week! I am so blessed with 2 beautiful girls. I love them so much.
- Chad Rowland just showed me a Jesus Bobble head we will be using for a prop in an upcoming series. He paid 3 bucks on eBay for it...he got what he paid for!
- Start a new series at REMIX this week on temptation...do teens really need to hear about how to deal with temptation...did I need that? YESSSSSS!
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Oh, if you missed The Office last night, I think it was one of their best episodes! Go to NBC.com and check it out.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
- seeing teens connect each week with their friends here at REMIX, I know it is simple but it is powerful to see teens belong and connect!
- seeing leaders become mentors to kids, every teen needs an older mentor cheering them on as they follow Christ!
- watching students in our band lead their friends in worship of GOD, this never gets old. I love how our band serves each week.
- seeing teens have a safe place to question faith, life, love, and their future in small group each week.
- seeing teens let us share truth from the Bible each week...yes they get it and they work through it! They actually want to encounter truth!
- hearing the stories of kids living out their faith and making wise decisions in their everyday life.
- helping teens through hard choices they have made and standing with those who have gotten a raw deal from life!
- getting to see teens serve at GCC each week as greeters, in Cross Street, Grace Acres and on our worship team, YES THEY SERVE NOW!
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
You can't take a mediocre idea and make it viral. There's not enough marketing savvy in the world to help a bad idea work.
Stretch with me on this... think of your new church as an idea for the community. Don't think about the mission and theology for a minute, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just focus on ~ the idea ~ of your church.
Is it a good idea for the community... or a bad idea?
How do you know? Ask yourself... is the idea spreading?
And if it's not, you may not have a marketing problem. You may have an idea problem. Maybe your church's purpose is not distinguishable enough. Maybe you're not meeting a need in the community. Maybe you're answering questions nobody's asking.
BEN ARMENT - http://www.benarment.com/
Monday, April 13, 2009
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Friday, April 10, 2009
This weekend I get to go with a friend to Nashville Motor Speedway and actually go into the pit and driver area for the first time. I am fired up. We are getting the the track around 1 and will be there for the entire race. I am getting myself prepped for a new level of loud! Look for me on TV because if a driver goes down I may pull a Ricky Bobby and make my driving debut. I will have tons of picture up on facebook and a few here on the blog. I needed to come clean and share with the blog world the truth. I feel better now. By the way my 3 favorite drivers are Gordon, Earnhardt Jr. and Edwards.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
I want to be one of the few who will not settle what IS but strive for what could be. The Easter week always reminds me that Jesus did not settle for what WAS, He came to shape what would be. I am thrilled Jesus did not settle for the REAL WORLD of the Pharisees. Jesus saw what could be and made it possible for all of humanity. Instead of settling for reality, what about living for the possible? Why settle? Live in POSSIBILITY.
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
So how will we handle the challenge? We are attacking it. We cannot wait to get ready, we have to face the hardest task for our fall launch now in the middle of our current ministry season. In years past I let my busy spring and summer keep me from fall prep and that did not pay off. We are praying for this new team, looking for the new team, and practicing the new team NOW and it is really cool to see God at work. The new band is really gong to be good, we have some great leaders stepping up. It also feels better to attack the challenge than worry about FALL COMING!
So what is you next challenge? Why not get a plan together and ATTACK IT! Sounds better then waiting and worrying!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
- Ron and Chad support each other and believe God has placed the other in leadership. It is called respect. If respect is not present the copastor setup will never work.
- Ron and Chad compliment each other. Their differences bring strength to the GCC family and they are not clones.
- Ron and Chad are OK with conflict. Copasors have to be OK with differing points of view and for health on our team these guys have to disagree at times.
- Ron and Chad are both EXCELLENT leaders. Either guy could lead this team on their own but God has united two strong leaders to support each other and lead this church.
- Ron and Chad support each others decisions. Both guys support the other when a hard decision is made. THIS IS A HUGE RESPECT FACTOR, every leader needs to know they can make the hard call and be supported. The guys support us as staff in the same way when we have made a tough call!
- Ron and Chad take time to dream, plan, and communicate apart from the rest of the team. This has been huge in making GCC all that is can be. To copastor you have to communicate clearly and often. This has really helped these guys stay on the same page!
- Ron and Chad lead from their strengths. Both guys take responsibility for different areas of the church that match their strengths! They also directly oversee different staff so that we all know who are our supervisors.
- Ron and Chad are both willing to LEARN! They learn from other churches, each other, their staff, books, conferences...they are learners and they listen to each other and folks on the outside.
Monday, April 6, 2009
Hope everyone has a great MONDAY!
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
Thursday, April 2, 2009
I passed this time! I hate to but I just got tickets to see Death Cab for the first time at the Ryman Auditorium. I passed on my favorite band, the 100 bucks was too much. If I had never seen them I would have bought tickets! How much would you pay to see your favorite band LIVE?
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Ok Ok, really this new setup is called Voice IP and it is basically a computer based phone system. It is going to save us a TON of money each year and it is the way office phone technology is going. We just learned we could even pull this off a few months ago...people in our area just have not embraced the technology. Thanks to Thor Systems for hooking us up and helping GCC break the mold even with our flipping phone system! Save money and get a better product for the team. Works for me!