Thursday, March 25, 2010

overwhelmed

Today is the day...I turned 34 today. Spend yesterday with my wife and 2 kids at the zoo, and got to hang out that night with some of our family. Since I was out of the office and away from my normal routine I could not help but be overwhelmed by all of God's blessings. God has allowed me to be husband to Chelsea, dad to my 2 little girls, friend to so many incredible people, and pastor to some amazing teens and families at Grace Community Church in Clarksville TN. I am overwhelmed. The process of celebrating a birthday always pushes me to reflect on where I am at right now and where I need to be in the next year. I am not sure about what your goals are for your life but one of mine is really simple. I want to MAKE it through this journey with as little regret as possible. I already know I am going to make mistakes...poor choices...fail...that is all what happens in life, but I want as little regret as possible in when I am 64 as possible. I just don't want to miss God's BEST in pursuit of AVERAGE. So here is what I am asking myself this year on my birthday...

Am I HIDING from God or RUNNING toward God? // my personal pursuit of Christ matters more than anything else. Jesus I need you...I have the option to hide from you of run to you every day. I must reject spiritual apathy!

Am I SHOWING UP consistently for my family? // my wife and girls need me to lead and love them...am I showing up for them on a regular basis or am I giving them leftovers after others have taken my best

Am I still LEARNING? // am I listening to others, am I humble enough to learn from my peers, what am I reading that inspires me to think forward, am I willing to take leadership risks to learn what will be best for tomorrow

Are my DREAMS for the future better than my MEMORIES of the past? // that is from Andy Stanley and I am so grateful for the idea. When my memories are bigger than my dreams for tomorrow my time of leadership is at the end.

5 comments:

  1. this is a great post Michael...seriously.

    I still hate the word verification thingy though....

    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, in your honor I now have it fixed! HA! Thanks man

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you enjoyed your ice cream cake!!! And thank you Ron for talking him out of the word verification! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a great birthday and success in your wishes for the year!!

    ReplyDelete