Saturday, March 24, 2007

sabbath...hard to take...

I tried something this week it was harder than I thought. I tried to slow down and take a true sabbath rest. I have been pondering how to take a true time of rest over the past few months. I am so drawn to work through my day of rest during the week. The Bible teaches of the sabbath since God founded the idea in the middle of creation. God created for 6 days and on the 7th rested. he stopped creating. he stopped producing. he took time to just look around at the creation He called "good". Why do I struggle in taking this day to stop and look back and rest in what has been "created" in the past week. I think I struggle because I love being in control, I am afraid that something will go wrong, I am afraid of not being present in the world I oversee. I think it boils down to the fact that I struggle with trusting God to take care of things when I am away. If you get a chance listen to Rob Bell talk about sabbath rest. He takes one day a week and stops creating. No sermon prep, no emails, no calls to handle details for the weekend service. it is touch but it works for him and keeps him mentally sane. I took Friday and did not turn my PC on. AHHHHHHHH it was so hard but I found as the day went along I was just fine. I spend more time reading, thinking, and resting than I had in weeks. I am not sure if I can keep it up but I am going to work toward this practice each week. One day - not creating - trusting God to take care of HIS ministry (it is not mine anyway!) On Saturday I got up and did not turn the PC on until after 11 AM, guess what. Everything was fine in my inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment